What are the characteristics of a good mentor?
- Invested in mentee’s personal development
- Effective at giving constructive feedback
- Knows the importance of goal-setting and celebrate achievements
- Trustworthy and sincere
What can you do as a mentor to demonstrate these qualities? Here are some resources to get you started.
- Characteristics of a Good Mentor
- Setting Expectations between Mentor and Mentee
- Effective Listening
- Video demo of effective listening skills [Stanford Login]
- Setting Teaching Goals
- Development Stages of TAs
- Setting Teaching Goals Worksheet
- Video discussion of developmental stages of TA [Stanford Login]
- Video on setting teaching goals with TAs [Stanford Login]
- TA Mentoring Scenarios