VPTL holds a Teaching Assistant (TA) Orientation every Autumn Quarter on the Friday before classes begin for all students who will be leading class sections and labs in the new academic year.
Missed TA Orientation ?
- Download these session handouts (Stanford Login required):
- Office Hours and Review Sessions
- Leading Discussions in Humanities and Social Sciences
- Leading Discussions in Science and Engineering 1
- Leading Discussions in Science and Engineering 2
- Starting the First Day of Class Right
- Grading Papers and Essays - Commenting and Grading Kit
- Grading Papers and Essays - Slides
- Common Classroom Challenges for International TAs
- Read the stories of the 2014 Orientation and the 2013 TA Orientation: both contain advice and information from the sessions.
- Read the TA Orientation handouts, below.
- Watch this video on key Stanford policies: Major Policies & Practices Every TA Should Know [20 min].
- To get event notices and teaching reminders, join the VPTL mailing list: TA_News_from_VPTL@lists.stanford.edu
- "Major Policies & Practices Every TA Should Know" [20-min video]
- "Honor Code and Fundamental Standard" page at the Office of Community Standards.
- Environmental Health and Safety - Emergency Preparedness Program
- Office of Accessible Education (OAE)
- Sexual Harrassment Policy Office
- University Policy on Recording and Broadcasting Classes
Resources for Students
- The Bridge Peer Counseling
- Vaden Health Service's Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS)
- English for Foreign Students (EFS)
- Haas Center for Public Service
- School of Engineering's Technical Communications Program
- Academic Skills Coaching
- Undergraduate Advising and Research
- Hume Center for Speaking and Writing
- Other Campus Resources