Resilience News & Research
2016-17 Resilience Events
Apply for "Stanford, I Screwed Up!"
Submit your story for this year's event! Check out last year's performance.
Autumn & Winter Quarters: Residential Workshops and Programs
Ask your Resident Assistant or your Resident Fellow about bringing resilience to your dorm. Or contact us and we will reach out.
November 30, 2017: Fail to Succeed
Stanford faculty members share the ups and downs of their professional paths. Check back in the fall for details.
April 6, 2017: Stanford, I Screwed Up
Everybody fails at something.
"Stanford, I Screwed Up" is an annual event commemorating and celebrating the 'epic failures' in our lives. Students from across campus will come together and share experiences through storytelling, dance, comedy, poetry, song, video, and other creative means.
By sharing our "epic failures" with each other, we fight the duck syndrome and build a strong community.
This year's event will be held at Meyer Green at 8:00 p.m.
The Stanford Resilience Project in the news
Grit, resilience, and bouncing back
- Jessica Reed, Stanford I Screwed Up Speaker shares her resilient story (Stanford News, 2015)
- Stanford Law Professor Creates Method for Dealing with Stress (Stanford News, 2014)
- "To The Best of Our Knowledge"
- 6 Failures You Should Experience if You Want to Succeed in Life (Elite Daily, 2015)
- Finding Courage by Accepting Vulnerability (Psychology Today, 2015)
- Failure as the Key Element to Success for Authors (Stanford Report, 2014)
- The Career Mistakes You Should Be Making (The Muse, 2014)
- All I Need to Know, I Learned When I Failed Out Of College (Huffington Post, 2014)
- How Failure in the Classroom is More Instructive than Success (Chronicle of Higher Education, 2014)
- 7 Epic Fails Brought to You by the Genius Mind of Thomas Edison (Smithsonian, 2013)
- Bouncing Back May Be Tough, But So Are We (Chronicle of Higher Ed, 2013)
- Selected Works on Resilience (Chronicle of Higher Ed, 2013)
- Eating Rejection for Breakfast (Forbes, 2012)
- Fear, failure, and falling short (blog post, 2012)
- Learning to Bounce Back (NY Times, 2012)
- Back to School (This American Life, 2012)
- Reading, Math, and Grit (NY Times, 2012)
- Teaching to Fail (Chronicle of Higher Education, 2012)
- STEM Students Must Be Taught to Fail (US News and World Report, 2012)
- What if the Secret to Success is Failure? (NY Times Magazine, 2011)