The Language Conversation Partner (LCP) Program provides free foreign language conversation practice appointments with peers who are specially trained to help students develop their oral proficiency skills in the target language through conversation in an informal setting. Our programs aim to develop self-directed learners, to teach transferrable academic skills, and to create a safe space for students to take intellectual risks.
Who We Are
Our office serves over 1,100 students with nearly 5,400 visits with our subject and language conversation partner sessions. We are here to help you support your students’ learning potential, by providing services and programs for all undergraduate and graduate students. Our student Language Conversation Partners are have language-sprecific expertise and work with students via informal conversation practice.
Tim Randazzo, Director of Graduate Teaching and Peer Learning Programs
Alex Ayers, Assistant Director, Peer Learning and Tutoring Programs
Who We Support
Our language conversation program supports students in meeting the oral proficiency objectives of about 190 courses taught through the Stanford Language Center. Currently, we offer conversation practice in Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish.
About Our LCP Sessions
Students can make a one-on-one appointment with a Language Conversation Partner through our online scheduler. Appointments typically last between 30-60 minutes, and sessions are student-driven. Students can meet with tutors in a variety of locations across campus including community centers, dorms, libraries, and lounges. Appointments are available in Autumn, Winter, and Spring Quarters, from the Sunday of week two until the last day of classes.
What Our LCPs Do
- Attend training sessions designed to prepare LCPs to thoughtfully engage with students.
- Lead unstructured conversations in the target language.
- Role-play different speaking scenarios.
- Practice speaking activities from the textbook.
- Boost conversational confidence in the student’s target language.
- Offer feedback and strategies to learn a new language.
- Promote cultural exchange and understanding
How You Can Help
- Interested in having a tutor visit your class to briefly introduce themselves and our program? Contact Alex Ayers at email@example.com
- Interested in importing a Canvas page with information about our LCP program? Simply log into Canvas, click on Commons (the arrowed icon to the left), search for “LCP”, and follow the instructions.
- Sample Canvas announcement:
Free Language Conversation Practice
Want to meet with a peer to practice your conversation skills in a foreign language? CTL offers free conversation practice on an appointment basis for this course and tutoring support for a number of other courses. For more information and to schedule an appointment, visit the learningconnection.stanford.edu.
- Add an insert to your Syllabus, like this sample:
FREE FOREIGN LANGUAGE CONVERSATION PRACTICE
Sponsored by the Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL), language conversation partners are available to students taking –LANG courses taught through the Stanford Language Center. LCPs can help you develop conversation skills, practice different scenarios (giving directions, shopping, ordering food), and rehearse oral drills and textbook activities. To make an appointment and for more information, visit learningconnection.stanford.edu.
Where Students Can Learn More
Send your students to learningconnection.stanford.edu where they can:
- Schedule an appointment
- Read about our current LCPs
- Check out our policies and FAQs
Contact Alex Ayers at firstname.lastname@example.org.