Where Files Go
PDFs and other downloads (Excel files, etc.) should be uploaded to the VPTL Website storage space at stanford.box.com. The URL for this is:
Once you have uploaded your information to box.com, you’ll need to adjust a few settings before you can put the link to the PDF on a web page.
How To get your File to Box
- Drag and drop the PDF into the folder. Once you have done that, you will need to adjust your sharing settings:
- Click the “Shared” button next to the PDF filename.
- Click on the gear icon in right corner of the resulting dialog. This will take you to advanced settings.
- Create a custom URL if desired
- Make sure the sharing settings are set to: "People with the Link" or "People in your company."
- Find and copy the direct link for the PDF at the bottom of the settings. This is what you should use to link text or a button to your PDF.
One thing to ask yourself before putting up ANY download is "can this be turned into a web page?" PDF files and other downloads aren't as accessible or searchable as web pages. They are also not as mobile-friendly. Consider if there is a reason a user needs your content as a "file," (for example so that they can fill out a spreadsheet or print a form.)