VPTL will hold its Spring Quarter TA Orientation on Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at Tresidder Memorial Union (second floor).
The schedule for the April 3 TA Orientation is below.
The tenative dates for next year’s orientations are:
September 21, 2018 (8 am-12 pm)
January 11, 2019 (1-4 pm)
April 5, 2019 (1-4 pm)
Open to Stanford TA community and Staff.
Please register by March 29.
Spring Orientation Schedule
All locations are on the second floor of Tresidder Memorial Union.
12:30-1:00 PM: Check-in and Light Refreshments (Outside Oak West)
1:00-1:50 PM: Plenary Session (Oak West)
- Welcome to Teaching at Stanford
- Engaged Learning
2:00-2:50 PM: Concurrent Session 1
- Digital Engagement Tools (Laurel Room)
- Grading Problem Sets, Labs, and Exams (Oak West)
- Leading Discussions in Humanities and Social Sciences (Oak East)
- Leading Discussions in Sciences and Engineering (Cypress North)
- Office Hours and Review Sessions in Sciences and Engineering (Cypress South)
3:00-4:00 Concurrent Session 2
- Major Policies & Practices Every TA Should Know: Video and Q&A Session (Oak West)
- SCPD Academic Courses: How to Support and Engage a Global Community of Online Students (Cypress North)
Missed TA Orientation?
Download these session handouts from the Autumn 2017 TA Orientation (Stanford Login required):
- Getting Started with Canvas handout
- Getting Started with Canvas slides
- Getting Started with Canvas: Instructor Resources
- Getting Started with Canvas: Assessing Assignments and Activities
- Getting Started with Canvas: TA Orientation Demo
- Grading Problem Sets, Labs, and Exams handout
- Leading Discussions in Humanities and Social Sciences handout
- Leading Discussions in Humanities and Social Sciences sample section syllabus
- Leading Discussions in Humanities and Social Sciences sample lesson plan
- Leading Discussions in Sciences and Engineering handout
- Office Hours and Review Sessions in Sciences and Engineering handout
- Teaching Labs handout
- "Major Policies & Practices Every TA Should Know" [20-min video]
- "Honor Code and Fundamental Standard" page at the Office of Community Standards.
- Environmental Health and Safety - Emergency Preparedness Program
- Office of Accessible Education (OAE)
- Sexual Harrassment Policy Office
- University Policy on Recording and Broadcasting Classes
Resources for Students
- The Bridge Peer Counseling
- Vaden Health Service's Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS)
- English for Foreign Students (EFS)
- Haas Center for Public Service
- School of Engineering's Technical Communications Program
- Academic Skills Coaching
- Undergraduate Advising and Research
- Hume Center for Speaking and Writing
- Graduate Life Office
- Vice Provost for Graduate Education
- Other Campus Resources