VPTL will hold its Winter Quarter TA Orientation on Friday, January 12, 2018 at Tresidder.
The schedule for the January 12 TA Orientation is below; room locations will be posted as the date approaches.
VPTL will also offer a Spring Quarter TA Orientation on Friday, April 6 from 1:00-4:00 p.m.
Open to Stanford TA community and Staff. Registration required -- Registration link coming soon.
Winter Orientation Schedule
1:00-1:50 PM: Plenary Session
- Welcome to Teaching at Stanford
- Engaged Learning
2:00-2:50 PM: Concurrent Session 1
- Digital Engagement Tools
- Grading Problem Sets, Labs, and Exams
- Leading Discussions in Humanities and Social Sciences
- Leading Discussions in Sciences and Engineering
- Office Hours and Review Sessions in Sciences and Engineering
3:00-4:00 Concurrent Session 2
- Major Policies & Practices Every TA Should Know: Video and Q&A Session
- SCPD Academic Courses: How to Support and Engage a Global Community of Online Students
Missed TA Orientation?
Download these session handouts from the Autumn 2017 TA Orientation (Stanford Login required):
- Getting Started with Canvas handout
- Getting Started with Canvas slides
- Getting Started with Canvas: Instructor Resources
- Getting Started with Canvas: Assessing Assignments and Activities
- Getting Started with Canvas: TA Orientation Demo
- Grading Problem Sets, Labs, and Exams handout
- Leading Discussions in Humanities and Social Sciences handout
- Leading Discussions in Humanities and Social Sciences sample section syllabus
- Leading Discussions in Humanities and Social Sciences sample lesson plan
- Leading Discussions in Sciences and Engineering handout
- Office Hours and Review Sessions in Sciences and Engineering handout
- Teaching Labs handout
- "Major Policies & Practices Every TA Should Know" [20-min video]
- "Honor Code and Fundamental Standard" page at the Office of Community Standards.
- Environmental Health and Safety - Emergency Preparedness Program
- Office of Accessible Education (OAE)
- Sexual Harrassment Policy Office
- University Policy on Recording and Broadcasting Classes
Resources for Students
- The Bridge Peer Counseling
- Vaden Health Service's Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS)
- English for Foreign Students (EFS)
- Haas Center for Public Service
- School of Engineering's Technical Communications Program
- Academic Skills Coaching
- Undergraduate Advising and Research
- Hume Center for Speaking and Writing
- Graduate Life Office
- Vice Provost for Graduate Education
- Other Campus Resources